Here are some basic procedures on how to run a GUI program when you SSH into Nicco2 on MacOS.
- First install XQuartz (equivalent to Xming).
- After the installation of XQuartz has finished, try opening XQuartz. It should look like the image below.
- Now connect to a remote server by using the -X option which will do X11 forwarding for SSH.
Type “ssh -X [your nicco2username]@nicco2.sscnet.ucla.edu” into the XQuartz terminal. You can look at step 4 of this tutorial or the image below for more information about this step.
- Now that you have logged in, check the DISPLAY variable to make sure it is correct.
- You can now run any GUI interface program. For a quick test, you can type “xclock” and it should display a little clock on your screen.